You are hereHome ›
19-year-old sentenced in fatal shooting of West St. Paul man
A St. Paul man pleaded guilty to second-degree murder Wednesday, April 9, in connection with the fatal shooting of a West St. Paul man last January.
Donovan Michael Diego, 19, was sentenced to more than 23 years in prison, and ordered to pay restitution.
The cases against the two other teens involved with the attempted burglary — where Luis David Reyes-Galvan, 31, was left bleeding to death in his driveway while his wife, daughter and nephew hid in the house — are pending.
Burglary turns bloody
Sitting in an SUV on Ohio Street in West St. Paul on Jan. 11, 2013, a 16-year-old Christino A. Rosario told his two partners not to shoot anyone.
Diego, Rosario and Malik Jamal Alize Farmer, who was 17 at the time, planned to rob Reyes-Galvin using a 12-gauge shotgun, a 40-caliber handgun and a pellet gun shaped like a pistol, according to the criminal complaint. Rosario told investigators they targeted the home because he’d previously burglarized it in 2010 and thought Reyes-Galvan was connected to some kind of cartel. They thought they would find stockpiles of drugs and cash, but they ended up fleeing the scene moments later.
When they pulled up in front of the house the evening of Jan. 11, noone was home, so they decided to wait in the car.
At about 8 p.m., Reyes-Galvan came home from seeing a movie with his 10-year-old daughter and 12-year-old nephew. Suspicious, he circled the block to get a better look at the vehicle and its occupants.
After Reyes-Galvan parked in the driveway and the children got out, the trio, with guns in hand, confronted the father. Reyes-Galvan managed to push the children into the house, but got caught up in a brawl with the assailants.
According to the criminal complaint, Reyes-Galvan’s wife was dialing 911 when she heard three gunshots and saw the men run back to their vehicle.
Reyes-Galvan was transported to Regions Hospital with a gunshot wound to his chest. He was pronounced dead at 8:47 p.m.
The three young men were each charged with first-degree murder in Dakota County Court Sept. 20.
Although Farmer was 17 and Rosario 16 at the time of the incident, Minnesota law stipulates defendants aged 16 and older charged with first-degree murder be tried as adults.
Kaitlyn Roby can be reached at 651-748-7815 and firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her at twitter.com/KRobyNews. Luke Reiter contributed to this report.