Apartment fire sends two to hospital

A morning fire on Sunday, April 25, likely caused by a space heater, sent a 3-year-old boy and his father to the hospital.

The fire happened on the third floor of an 11-unit apartment building 1800 block of East Seventh Street.

St. Paul firefighters arrived at the scene to see heavy black smoke coming out of a third-story window.

St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said firefighters found the father and son, Fred Stewart Jr. and Fred Steward Sr., in the bathroom of the apartment, both unconscious from smoke inhalation.

The two were treated at the scene and then brought to Regions Hospital.

The two both survived the incident and were reported to be in fair condition.

Zaccard noted that the survival of the victims was helped by the on-site medical response.

The fire was put out just a few minutes after firefighters arrived at the scene. The fire was contained to the one apartment, although the entire building was evacuated for a short time.

Zaccard said there were no operable smoke detectors in the apartment, nor fire sprinklers.

–Patrick Larkin

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet

Add new comment

Full HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Use [scribd id=xx key=yy mode=zz] where xx is you scribd document_id, yy is your scribd document access_key and zz is your optional mode (scroll or slideshow) to create a link to the scribd document.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
You will see a Green Check Mark under the headline if your comment was successful. If you don't see the Green Check, Scroll down and Re-Enter the Code. This is to prevent spam submissions.
8 + 12 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.