Apartment fire sends two to hospital

A morning fire on Sunday, April 25, likely caused by a space heater, sent a 3-year-old boy and his father to the hospital.

The fire happened on the third floor of an 11-unit apartment building 1800 block of East Seventh Street.

St. Paul firefighters arrived at the scene to see heavy black smoke coming out of a third-story window.

St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said firefighters found the father and son, Fred Stewart Jr. and Fred Steward Sr., in the bathroom of the apartment, both unconscious from smoke inhalation.

The two were treated at the scene and then brought to Regions Hospital.

The two both survived the incident and were reported to be in fair condition.

Zaccard noted that the survival of the victims was helped by the on-site medical response.

The fire was put out just a few minutes after firefighters arrived at the scene. The fire was contained to the one apartment, although the entire building was evacuated for a short time.

Zaccard said there were no operable smoke detectors in the apartment, nor fire sprinklers.

–Patrick Larkin

 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here