You are hereHome ›
Girls soccer: Strong defense and experience should help Titans this season
The Tartan Titans saw steady improvement as the girls soccer season progressed in 2013.
This year the Titans are hoping to improve on last season's overall mark of 6-8-4, and 2-6-3 in conference play.
"We have experience returning. We have a solid defense, and we will combine that with some fast attackers," stated Tartan head coach Erik Tvedten.
"We are returning a handful of players that are committed to playing D1 and D2 soccer in college. They are out to prove themselves this season. "We should be OK, even though we lost some key players from a year ago," Tvedten said.
Leading the Titans will be a trio of senior captains: forward Natalie Herzog; midfielder Erika Lagoon, and defender Megan Smallman.
Coach Tvedten wasted no time pointing to North High as the most likely team to win the newly formed Metro East Conference.
Tvedten will have Jessica Dooley working with him as varsity assistant. Helping with the JV team will be Katie Carlson, and assisting with the freshman team will be Dave Bealke.
The Titans have already seen action this fall when they traveled to Moorhead to face the Spuds and were successful in a game that went to overtime before a 3-2 Tartan victory.
The remaining 2014 Tartan girls soccer schedule:
- Aug. 28, 7 p.m., at Hastings;
- Sept. 2, 7 p.m., South St. Paul at Tartan;
- Sept. 4, 7 p.m., at Henry Sibley;
- Sept. 6, 2 p.m., Cretin-Derham Hall at Tartan;
- Sept. 9, 5 p.m., at Simley;
- Sept. 11, 7 p.m., Mahtomedi at Tartan;
- Sept. 13, 7 p.m., at Stillwater;
- Sept. 16, 7 p.m., at Hill-Murray;
- Sept. 18, 5 p.m., Hastings at Tartan;
- Sept. 23, 5 p.m., at North;
- Sept. 25, 7 p.m., Henry Sibley at Tartan;
- Sept. 27, 3 p.m., at East Ridge;
- Oct. 2, 5 p.m., at DeLaSalle.
The Section 4 AA playoffs begin Oct. 7 at the site of the highest seed.
Wally Wakefield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.